Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Debbianne DeRose - What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
It came in a flash one day, via cosmic download just like most of the writing. Most people smile when they see it and immediately flash back to some inane school paper they had to write about their family’s summer vacation. There’s a particularly funny take on that topic on Uncyclopedia.

2. Is there a message in your memoir that you want readers to grasp?
Everyone gets what they need, and which morsel appeals to any particular person I cannot say, but I suppose my underlying mission is to remind people how powerful and completely loved they are, and that they can choose to allow and accept everything, including themselves, at any point. I’ve found that self-love takes care of just about every issue we encounter in this dense time-space continuum. I’m your personal cheerleader.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
That’s a great question because although it’s full of 100% true actual experiences, truth is often stranger than fiction, and realism is in the mind of the reader. For some people, things like spoon-bending and instantaneous healings are matter-of-fact but for others they’re completely far-fetched. I tend to straddle both worlds and approach these things with an open skeptical mind... and perhaps an overly zealous sense of humor.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
At this point, no. God knows I edited most of it forty-three times or more before releasing it. But there comes a time to tell the perfectionist to beat it and pronounce the thing “close enough for government work.”

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
My biggest challenge has been in overcoming the fear of making myself vulnerable---you know, exposing the soft white underbelly (and it is pretty dang white because I’m a pale northerner). The writing itself is pure joy and satisfaction.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned a heckuva lot, particularly through feedback from professional editor types. Like how to ensure that narratives flow properly and make sense to the reader. I caught some fleeting glimpses of that elusive zone in which “honest” intersects “offensive”. The thing is, there’s so much diversity out there and what makes one person squirm evokes doubled-over laughter in the next. So I decided to stick with my inner guidance rather than be overly concerned about what other people think. I’d rather be controversial than boring.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Probably it began in the womb, because everyone knows that dysfunctional family is some of the best creative fodder around. But it picked up speed when my third grade teacher returned a writing assignment with glowing remarks and a smiley face.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I can never narrow down my favorite anything to just one. But just to play along, I love Erma Bombeck. That broad was fun-nay! And bold too, in the context of her era. I dig sassy women writers.

9. Tell us your latest news.
I’m currently working excitedly on my next book, “How I Met the Man of My Dreams: Reflections on the MANifestation Process”. It’s a true tale of woo… and woo-woo. I actually met my SuperLove just as I was finishing up “What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation” and my friends asked if I was going to tack on the exciting love story. Well, I gave it some thought but decided against it because I like how it ends on a strong single-woman note. That feels more real and empowering to me than some fairy-tale Harlequin ending. But the sequel explains how becoming truly happy and accepting of myself allowed me to line up with this amazing lover man. And I have to say, all that Law of Attraction stuff is for real. So I’m writing it as a concrete example---sort of reverse-engineering the MANifestation---in order to inspire the single gals out there to understand that they too can meet the man of their dreams.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
If everything and everyone is derived from spirit, then Jerry Springer and motocross are every bit as “spiritual” as a Buddhist temple. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!


About the Book

This saucy memoir is the oh-so-honest and humorous account of the author’s personal journey through a string of compelling adventures and ideologies of the woo-woo kind. Her story begins with confusion and discontentment that catalyzes bold life changes and sends her roaming in search of magic, miracles, and a deeper grasp of the metaphysical nature of reality. In a unique style akin to confessional reporting, she shares with you her keen insights into human behavior as you meet a plethora of colorful characters and occasional charlatans. With some good belly laughs, she effectively sorts out the wheat from the chaff---both within herself and the New Age world she’s romping in. It becomes a healing pilgrimage full of expansive revelations, and through the process of en-lightening up she emerges clear-headed and self-empowered with inspiration to spare.

Buy Link
Price: $17.00
Pages: 252
Genre: Memoir
Publisher: PiscAquarian Press
Release date: April 2012


About the Author

Debbianne specializes in humorous explorations of all things "woo-woo"---that is, metaphysical, spiritual, paranormal, New Agey---with intent to empower and entertain. Oddly enough, she was formerly formally trained in the Conservative Arts of engineering and economics, and enjoyed stints as database geek, non-profiteer, and inadvertent house-flipper before diving into the world of wordsmithery. She resides in the San Francisco Bay Area where she can swim regularly in the seas of woo, buoyed always by her Jersey girl sensibilities and sense of humor. After all, there’s nothing serious going on here.

Links to connect with Debbianne:
Web Site & Blog 
Facebook 
Twitter 
Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Great interview. I like this girl because she tells it like it is as well as being hysterical.
    I read her book and believe that it is the next "Eat Pray Love"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading the book right now, and I can say that I am more on the "doubled-over laughter" side of the zone. It doesn't really feel like I am reading a book but more like I am sitting next to the author and having a very interesting conversation. She should seriously consider recording this as an audio book. Very entertaining and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!!

      Delete
  3. Very smart interview that reflects the author's ability to be insightful and funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind remarks! I am working on the audiobook version, as a matter of fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People, there is some funny-ass s*** in this book! (I will certainly never hear the word "Vipassanna" the same.) Yet it is ultimately both penetrating and good-natured. The author takes more excursions into the lands of "woo" than any sensible person might dare, but comes through it, like Odysseus, with a helluva tale and only moderate bloodshed. I mean, a dead Cyclops or two, and routing of the false suitors... but I say too much. Read it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete