Wednesday, May 2, 2012

James V. O'Connor - Another Man's Treasure - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
It’s from the common expression, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.” It has several meanings related to the themes in the book.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Definitely. No matter how content you are in a marriage or committed relationship, you’re likely to be attracted to someone other than your life partner. This is the nature of men and women, and it’s only dangerous if the feelings are strong, mutual, and expressed. In my book, the sexual tension keeps deepening and keeps you guessing the outcome. The underlining message is that relationships are complex, messy and sometimes disastrous, but often can be simplified with honest communications.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
All of it is plausible. The characters confront real issues that many readers can relate to.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
Not one thing. I keep re-reading it, and I love it just the way it is.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The sex scenes. Most writers agree. You don’t want to describe too much or too little, and you need to blend the physical with the emotional.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I discovered how much fun it is to create characters and to have them confront and solve their problems. I also learned that, if you want to write a novel, you should first read a book or two on how it’s done. I read several while I was writing, which guided me to add more conflict and suspense and more dimensions to my characters. My next book will be much easier to write.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
When I was a sophomore in college, I determined my destiny was to be a writer. I told my father, and he said writing is a good back-up skill for a real job! He was right. I was over 50 before I wrote my first book, CUSS CONTROL.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I don’t have one. However, I like James Patterson’s use of short chapters with endings that keep you reading. Most of my 86 chapters are less than four pages long. Some are one page, the longest is six. My book is also light on narrative, heavy on dialogue. It’s easy to read and hard to put down.

9. Tell us your latest news.
I love my publisher, Post Mortem Press, which is currently producing an audio version of Another Man’s Treasure.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I wrote this book for women to give them some idea of how men—especially the strong silent type—think about women they are attracted to emotionally, not just physically. To my pleasant surprise, men love the book, too! Why? Because most men who go through the emotional torment of sexual and romantic temptation are not likely to reveal their feelings or seek advice from other men. Male readers want to see how my character deals with his situation and comes out a winner. They stick with it, and discover there are many surprises!


About the Book

Another Man’s Treasure is a mystery-romance novel dealing with fidelity and temptation, generosity and greed. Ted McCormick, a professional organizer in Albany, NY, is hired by a difficult client to clean out his deceased father’s cluttered Victorian mansion. Ted’s secret task is to find something of great value that the client believes his eccentric father hid in the mysterious house. What—or who—is in the mansion trying to stop him? Although he’s married, Ted finds himself falling for another client, an attractive and flirtatious single mother. He resists her, but events keep bringing her into his life, intensifying their relationship. His wife and the woman’s jealous ex-husband suspect something is going on. Ted gets deeper in trouble before making several shocking discoveries, one that captivates the city, and one that determines his future. 

Price: $15.00, paperback
Format: Trade Paperback, 6” x 9” and ebook
Pages: 289
Publisher: Post Mortem Press
Release: September 2011
ISBN: 978-0-61551652-3 
Buy Link: Amazon


About The Author

JAMES V. O’CONNOR and his wife, Lynda, operate O’Connor Communications, Inc., a public relations firm specializing in book publicity. Jim also has a home organizing business, CLUTTER CONTROL, serving the northern suburbs of Chicago. He is a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO), and has appeared on several national and Chicago TV shows demonstrating ways to get organized. His first book, CUSS CONTROL, The Complete Book on How to Curb Your Cursing, became a best seller nationwide. He appeared on more than 100 TV shows, including Oprah, the View, the Today Show, the Early Show, CBS News Sunday Morning, and the O’Reilly Factor. Before starting his public relations firm in 1989, Jim worked in corporate communications for four Fortune 500 corporations. He is a graduate of Loyola University of Chicago. He and his wife live in Lake Forest, Illinois.

Connect with James:
Web Site (book)
Web Site (author)
Facebook

YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment