Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brenda Novak - When Lightning Strikes - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
Landing one of the biggest movies stars in Hollywood is a bit of a fantasy, so I wanted to play into that--it's something that happens rarely but really makes an impact (especially on someone like my unassuming and rather straight-laced heroine). This title seemed to fit and enabled me to develop a theme I could carry through the series (the next book is WHEN SNOW FALLS, and the one after that is WHEN SUMMER COMES).



2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
This is a classic marriage of convenience story, but it deals with the redemption of someone who has very publicly melted down. It's about the healing power of love and how love can redeem.



3. How much of the book is realistic?


I think the story reads very realistically. Some people do meet movie stars and marry them. ;-) Gail does the PR for box office heavyweight Simon O'Neal, so she would definitely be in a position to associate with him. I personally believe in love and happily ever after. To me, it's very realistic.



4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
No, actually I'm very pleased with the way the book turned out. I set out to write a story that would be warm and engaging and emotional, something different from the suspense I've been doing, and I really enjoyed the change up.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?


Not killing somebody. Seriously. LOL I've been writing suspense. It was tough to get away from the type of intricate plot that requires. This type of story also requires plotting but I didn't need to weave the suspense plot together with the romantic plot. It's a straight contemporary romance.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned that it's good to challenge myself and change things up occasionally. I love suspense and will still be writing it, but I'm so glad I began this small town contemporary series. Already I feel as if Whiskey Creek is home.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I never dreamed I'd be a writer. I thought I was analytical, left-brained, better at math and science. Then I caught my daycare provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep all day so that she could watch soap operas, and I quite my job to stay home with them. I could no longer trust anyone else with their care. But we were going through a very difficult time financially. My husband's business was failing, and I had to do something to help. I was reading a good book at the time and decided that maybe I could try  to become a novelist, since that was something I could do while at home with my children. That's where it all started. I can hardly believe that dark time led me to what I want to do for the rest of my life.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I love how appealing and yet truly MALE her heroes are. I love her witty dialogue, too.

9. Tell us your latest news.
WHEN WE TOUCH, a 150-page novella (the prequel to this series) will be available digitally FREE (for a limited time) on August 1st. You can download it wherever you buy online books (or from my web site at www.brendanovak.com).

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I hope they enjoy reading about Whiskey Creek as much as I've enjoyed creating the stories that belong in this series. I'd also like to invite them to join my mailing list so that I can let them know when the next Whiskey Creek book will be out.


About the Book

She’s a hometown girl made good...

He’s the Hollywood bad boy who could bring her down...

Gail DeMarco's PR firm has accumulated a roster of A-list clients, including the biggest box office hit of all—sexy and unpredictable Simon O’Neal. But Simon, who’s just been through a turbulent divorce, is so busy self-destructing he won’t listen to anything she says. She drops him from her list—and he retaliates by taking the rest of her clients with him.

Desperate to save her company, Gail has to humble herself by making a deal with Simon. But what he demands will require a whole new image. The only way Gail figures she can achieve that is to have him marry some squeaky-clean girl who’ll drag him off to a small, obscure place—like her hometown of Whiskey Creek.

Simon says Gail needs to play his wife. But doing so turns out to be more difficult than she ever dreamed. And it isn’t because he’s too hard to like—it’s because he’s too hard not to love.

Pages: 441
Published By: Mira
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Buy Links:
www.amazon.com : Price: $7.99 (Paperback Edition); $6.79 (Kindle Edition)
www.barnesandnoble.com : Price: $7.59 (Paperback Edition); $6.79 (Nook Edition)


About the Author

New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Brenda Novak is the author of more than forty books. A three-time Rita nominee, she has won many awards, including the National Reader’s Choice, the Bookseller’s Best, the Book Buyer’s Best, the Daphne, and the Holt Medallion. She also runs an annual on-line auction for diabetes research every May at www.brendanovak.com (her youngest son has this disease). To date, she’s raised over $1.6 million. Brenda has a brand new small-town contemporary series starting this summer. Come meet the long-time friends who have made Whiskey Creek the “Heart of Gold Country,” with WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES, to be released August 28th. WHEN SNOW FALLS will hit bookstores October 30th and WHEN SUMMER COMES will arrive January 29, 2013.

Links to connect with Brenda:
Facebook
Website
Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Great article! I have pre-ordered "When Lightning Strikes" and can hardly wait to read it! Brenda Novak has never disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received an advanced copy of this book through my book club.I loved it!!!!Then again I haven't read any Brenda Novak novel that I haven't loved! Whomever gets it won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete