Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Levi Montgomery - Blood Bonds - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
The theme of the book, to the extent that it has one, is the bonds that we each weave, between ourselves and those around us, between ourselves as we are now and the selves we have left behind in various places and times, between who we are and who we wish we were. The bonds in this book begin with the blood-brothers bond that Denny and Mike create when they're fourteen, so it seemed like an appropriate title.



2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That we do not live our lives alone. We do not stand alone, we do not fall alone, and we cannot love or hate or learn or forget or forgive without the bonds we weave.

3. How much of the book is realistic?


It's all realistic, in that it could all happen. On the other hand, it is wholly a work of fiction, woven from whole cloth in the murky depths of my own imagination, and doesn't portray any real people or events.



4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I would change every single thing about it, if that made it a better book, but there's nothing I wish I had done differently. I just want to move on to the next and the next and the next. (Actually, I'm two books beyond this one already.)

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Nothing about this one was all that hard.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Every time you start stringing words together, you learn something. Every sentence you write teaches you something. Every time you watch someone walk across your imagination, every time you listen to them talk to each other, every time you feel their emotions or think there thoughts or speak their words, you learn something. Unfortunately, most of what you learn can't really be enumerated, and when authors try, they generally come up with silly "rules" about how to write, and I don't see any need to spread any more of those.

There are no rules. Write the story you have, in the voice you have, and be done with it. When others try to get you on the defensive, repeat after me: "There are no rules. This is the story I had. This is the voice I had." If they still won't leave you alone, tell 'em to come talk to me.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Are you kidding me? I'm older than dirt. I have no idea what led to the first story I ever wrote. :)

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I'm not sure I have a "favorite" author, or rather, my favorite varies from day to day and year to year. Margaret Atwood, Francine Prose, and Wally Lamb are the ones that come to mind right now. Mostly, any author who can make writing seem like dancing.

9. Tell us your latest news.
My latest news? Hmm... just went to the local annual Highland Games, with several of my (way too many) kids. My daughter dared me to wear the full Scottish regalia to next year's Games. Well, I have a sister who is very up on all the family history, knows the proper designs and so forth, and happens to be a fabric artist, so I said if my daughter would pay for a kilt my sister made me, I'd wear it. And thus a bet was born.



So look for me talking the talk, walking the walk, and totally rocking the look at next year's Highland Games!

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I really hope you like my books, but if you don't, please bear in mind that I'd really and truly rather have you read someone else's book and love it than read mine and not like it.

Life's too short to waste time reading stuff you don't like.

 And when you read a book you love, mine or anyone's, please take a second to pop over to Amazon, or Goodreads, or Shelfari, or wherever, and say so! Those reader reviews mean a lot to us. Thanks for reading!


About the Book

“I vow never to take my blood brother’s woman…”
“…and I vow never to leave him in trouble…”
“…and I vow never to take anything of his…”
“…and I vow never to lie to him…”
“…so help me God.”

Immortality is the birthright of youth.

The young are going to live forever, and they know it. When you’re young, you can cut your hand with a dirty piece of bottle glass from the town dump, and it’s okay, because you’re going to live forever. There will be no pain and no blood. There will be no regrets. You can lie to your best friend, you can steal the very substance of his dreams, and pay no price, because you’re immortal.

When the shadow finally sweeps you up in its slow omnipotent crawl, it is not life that you are leaving behind. It is youth. It is the immortality of belief, of knowing that you can cut your hand, you can kiss a girl, you can steal from your blood brother and never pay a price.

How many of us go our entire lives and never see the evil that waits for us under our skins, behind the thin veneer of neckties and fingernail polish?

Buy Link: Amazon (available June 5, 2012)


About the Author

On June 5th, 2012, author Levi Montgomery launches his latest novel of literary fiction, Blood Bonds.

Levi’s work spans genre lines from YA to adult literature and touches on coming of age themes that appeal to readers of all ages. Love, self-acceptance, dark and edgy Christian fiction, violence and fear are all explored in his books. With a touch of literary fiction and a raw edginess, he writes in a distinct voice that is hard to categorize but worth taking the time to get to know.

Links to connect with Levi: 
Web Site
Email
Twitter
Goodreads
Scribd

No comments:

Post a Comment