Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sherri Starr - Mia and Jake: Finding the One - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
I ultimately chose the title “Mia and Jake: Finding the One” because I wanted it to be representative of the transparent and lighthearted theme of the book itself. At first glance, this book could be mistaken for a children’s book which, oddly enough, was my intent because it allows for the reader to quickly access their own playfulness and relate to these characters.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Don’t let the stick figures fool you. This book, despite its simplistic nature, is packed with lessons for the reader to grasp: Believe that “The One” exists, no matter how long it may take to find them; enjoy every bit of your life in the meantime; don’t assume something is wrong with you just because you haven’t found your ideal partner; persevere; keep a positive attitude; trust your own instincts; there are many paths to a desired goal; identify what you want but then let go of the outcome; be yourself; go to Mexico!

3. How much of the book is realistic?
The circumstances, events, and characters in this book are very realistic yet exaggerated just enough to make me laugh at myself and my seemingly hopeless situation. I began drawing Mia in my journal after having returned from yet another listless first date, and the entire story of Mia’s journey is based on my years of trial-and-error as I searched for love. It wasn’t until I met my husband, Lucas, that I realized that I had an ending to Mia’s story…and a contrasting journey to represent a man’s point of view.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
If I could do it all over again, I would have published the book sooner. This book was written and illustrated in its entirety and sat in my computer for about a year prior to trying to get it published. Given that this is my first book, I think I feared the unknowns that surround publishing, marketing, and selling books. It turns out the process of publishing was nothing to fear, especially with a little hand-holding from Greg of Sea-Hill Press.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part of writing my book was creating each page with enough simplicity, yet the proper amount of expression and detail in order to convey the feelings and images that resided in my head. I had completely drawn the book’s characters and circumstances for each frame but quickly realized that I needed to hire an illustrator to sharpen them up. Robbie did such a great job of doing just that, but it was difficult to trust another person to take my drawings and improve them without changing their essence. It was so important to me that these characters remained stick figures in their most rudimentary form, and I was so grateful that Robbie, as an artist who can draw more than stick figures, was able to be confined to those parameters.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Writing the book taught me that being in a creative space is so much fun. There’s just something about the creative process that feels life-giving to me. On the days I wrote and drew these pages, I felt more excited and more alive and was able to take life less seriously, even before I could hold the finished product in my hands.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I’ve been writing since I was very young. I still have journals from when I was about 10 years old, detailing the rollercoaster rides at Great America, the gifts I received at Christmas, and later, the boys I liked. I have always been an observer of the inner workings of relationships between friends, families, and lovers, and oftentimes will write as I watch people and contemplate what they’re thinking, what their lives are like, if they’re happy, if they’re in love. Love seems to be a recurring theme in my collection of journals.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
This is such a difficult question because I love to read fiction novels, but I have a profoundly special place for Deepak Chopra books. At 24 years old I began reading “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success.” At the time, the concepts were thrillingly complex yet somehow simple (“Grass doesn’t try to grow; it just grows”), and I couldn’t get enough of his theories that seemed to resonate with my soul. Since then, Deepak has continued to challenge me with new ideas which take my thoughts to a place of unlimited possibilities.

9. Tell us your latest news.
My latest news is that I am currently writing the next book in the Mia and Jake series! This book will highlight the humorous aspects of a budding relationship, engagement, and planning the wedding. This next book is written in the familiar Mia and Jake format illustrating the differing thought processes between men and women as they try to reach the same goal. I’m hoping to have this book completed and ready for release by wedding season 2013.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I want to sincerely thank the readers for supporting this book and for all the wonderful feedback I’ve received from you. It has been thrilling to hear/read that this little cartoon book which began as a mere journal entry is connecting with you and providing some laughs and levity. I am wishing you all lots of luck in love.


About the Book

Everyone knows people like Mia and Jake: happy, successful, and SINGLE. They are the kind of people that leave others puzzled as to why they haven't found that special someone yet. Are they too picky? Are they too insecure? There must be SOMETHING wrong with them. Join Mia & Jake in this fun, illustrated adult adventure as they search with a vengeance, embarking on their hilarious and sometimes embarrassing missions to try everything they can to find each other. The first half of the book is Mia's side of the story ... then, flip it over to read Jake's side ... they meet in the middle.

ISBN-13: 9781937720094
Publisher: Sea-Hill Press, Incorporated
Publication date: 9/1/2012
Pages: 132
Retail price: $14.95
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble


About the Author

Sherri Starr is a world-traveling court reporter by day, a dabbler in music/writing/ cooking by night, and a Mia incarnate by soul. She began creating Mia’s story after living life to the fullest while keeping a selective eye out for her “Jake.” At long last, she finally found him in the most unexpected of places. They now are enjoying their happily ever after in Southern California and are hoping to add another character to the story soon.

Links to connect with Sherri:
Web Site
Facebook
Twitter




Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

7 comments:

  1. I am one proud best friend! I enjoyed the book and was laughing inside because the figures of her thinking are perfect illustrations of how she thinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you love the book, Kim. It's exciting to see how people are connecting with these characters.

      Delete
  2. Sherri, it's a thrill having you stop by. Best of luck with your release!

    Kim, thanks for showing your support for Sherri's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute book! A friend bought it for me thinking I would relate (I've been looking for the "One" for a long time) and boy did I. I highly recommend it to all the singles out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book it's cute, comical and clever I can't wait for additional books in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been so fun to be part of the Mia and Jake world as a best friend! And now to see Sherri so happy in love with her "jake" is the best gift she's received in this world....and the best gift her "jake" received too! The book is amazing and I can't wait to read the others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri is all heart, ive seen her over come many road blocks, shes persevered through many objects with a smile and sense of humor like no other. We can all learn from a soul like sherri.... i wanted to name my child after her but had two boys. She will always be in my heart an every now an then float in my brain. I wish all the luck an love in the world to her, she deserves peace an tranquillity. I hope her next an all future chapters end happy.

    ReplyDelete