Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Leigh Dunlap - Halifax - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
I wanted an interesting last name for the characters and was searching my brain for something that was cool but not too distractingly odd. I was flying back from London and suddenly "Halifax" popped up on the skymap and I thought that was perfect. You can't go wrong with something with an "X" in it! After that I felt it was perfect for the title. It's a bit like the Halifax siblings themselves. They seem normal but there's so much more going on.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I'm a little cautious about imparting messages on anyone, but if the book has any kind of hit-you-over-the-head life lesson kind of message it would have to do with being confident in yourself and not trying to be something you're not just to please someone else. But that's really stretching it! I hope the book promotes some of the good ideas in the world. Friendship. Family. Devotion. Selflessness. If those things come through just a little bit for the reader I'll be a very happy writer.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
Other than the aliens? In the context of high school and family relationships I'd say it's very realistic. It's a lot about the characters and their interaction with each other and I think those relationships will be very familiar to people, whether it be a boyfriend/girlfriend situation or a brother/sister one. I think the characters act very realistically in a very fantastical world.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
No, there's nothing I would change. My "day job" is as a screenwriter and in that world I'm used to having a million hands all over my work, from re-writers to directors to actors and studio executives. What you write isn't what ends up being made. I love that the book is just how I intended it. If someone loves it, I take full credit. If they don't, I have to take responsibility for that. But it's all me.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
For me it was a medium I'm not used to working in. In screenwriting you're trying to say things with immense economy. You try to have a bit of flare with a character description or location, but there's not a lot of room for prose. It's mostly dialogue. So when I sat down to write a book it was was initially so hard for me describe everything. I just wanted to skip to the dialogue! Once I got into the rhythm of it, though, it was a lot of fun. It was challenging, though, for sure. I'm proud of the job I did but my mind is definitely programed to write scripts.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
On a personal level I learned that I can broaden my horizons. You tend to think in terms of survival and achieving at what you know. Carving out time to try something new and actually following it through to the end is tough. It's hard enough doing what you do well, let alone trying to do something new. So it's nice to know I can still grow and change direction and try something new. Life can move in unexpected directions and it's fun to take new journeys.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I've always been a writer. Always loved it. I'm awful at math. No science for me! Won't be a doctor any time soon. But I could always write and my teachers always encouraged that and hopefully not just because I couldn't do anything else! I'm a dreamy person and I love hanging out in my head, living in other worlds, inventing new people and figuring out what their lives would be like. How much fun is that?! I'm blessed that I've been able to make a living at it. I don't know what else I would do.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
For someone who loves writing fiction and fantasy and science fiction, I actually adore non-fiction. I'm particularly obsessed with sports books and stories. I don't think it's such a stretch because sports offer up so much drama and interesting characters and inspirational moments. All things that I love. I really have two favorite authors in that regard. Michael Lewis for "Moneyball" and "The Blind Side", two of my favorite books and Jonathan Eig for "Luckiest Man" and "Opening Day". They both are so clear in their writing and they take you into their worlds and not only tell great stories but make you understand worlds you may have had a stereotypical view of and illuminating them from so many angles that you have such a great understanding of them.

9. Tell us your latest news.
I'm working on some screenwriting projects, mostly centered around sports. I'm working on one pilot about a female sportscaster and another one about a kid sports agent. My big job right now, though, is working on the second "Halifax" book, number two of a proposed trilogy. I'm having a blast doing that. It's so much fun to be back in the Halifax universe.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I hope they get lost in the world I've created and have a great time being there. To me that's the best thing about reading. You can hang out in a new place, lost in your head, and wander for awhile. 



About the Book

Teenagers seem like they are from another planet. What if they were? Izzy, Rom and Farrell Halifax are new to Lexham Academy and are fitting perfectly into their new school. But what the teachers and the rest of the student body don’t know is that they are aliens, tracking down intergalactic criminals that may be lurking among the halls. Leigh Dunlap’s HALIFAX (Publish Green, August 12, 2011) is a gripping science fiction thriller and a funny coming of age young adult novel about surviving the pitfalls of high school and killing the most dangerous aliens in the galaxy. A perfect read for Halloween!

Each Halifax sibling has a special ability. Farrell is stoic, strong, and the leader of the group, Izzy can read people’s emotions and Rom is an expert in computers, math and explosions. They have tracked down a prison barge that has crashed in the middle of a football field at a Lexham Academy, a private school in California. Unfortunately, aliens are the least of their problems. Homework, bad teachers, menacing jocks and a Halloween Carnival are making their mission much more difficult.

Price/Format: $0.99 ebook
Pages: 146
Genre: Sci-Fi / Young Adult / Paranormal
Publisher: Publish Green
Release Date: August 12, 2011
Buy Links: Amazon


About the Author

Leigh Dunlap is the screenwriter behind the hit movie "A Cinderella Story" starring Hilary Duff. She also wrote "Spy Girls", based on the popular teen book series, for producer Lawrence Bender (Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting) and "Camp Rockaway" for Sony Pictures and producers Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher (Gladiator, Stuart Little). Her project "16-Love" starring Lindsey Shaw and Chandler Massey, recently finished principal photography. "Halifax" is Leigh's first novel and combines two of her favorite things to write about --- Science Fiction and Romance. Leigh is a graduate of the USC School of Cinema-Television and lives in London, when she can, with her husband and son.

Link to connect with Leigh:
Web site





Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

16 comments:

  1. Halifax is really rocking band, their are four member in this band and the songs of this band will surely rock you, and thankful to you for posting this blog related to Halifax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thіs is a topic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

    Take a look at my page ... http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Re view-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hеy there would уou mіnԁ
    letting me κnow ωhich hosting cоmpany you're utilizing? I've lоaded your blog in 3 diffeгent broωseгs and I must sаy this blog loads a lot quickеr then
    most. Can you suggeѕt a good web hoѕtіng provider at а honeѕt price?
    Thаnkѕ a lot, I apрrecіate it!



    Alѕo visit my weblog; V2 Cig Review
    Also see my page - www.waagg.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hеllo, i believe thаt i notіced you visіted my website thus
    і came to return thе prefer?.I
    am trying tο find things to enhance mу website!
    I suppose іts adequate tο make use of some of youг iԁeаs!
    !

    My wеb site; All About The V2 Electronic Cigarette
    my page :: V2 Cig Review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey аre using Worԁρress for
    youг site platfoгm? I'm new to the blog world but I'm tryіng to get
    staгted and creatе mу oωn. Do you neeԁ any codіng knowleԁgе to
    make your own blog? Anу help would be rеally appгeciated!



    Here іs my site :: v2 cigs
    my website > HTTP://www.aperorpg.Fr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just like the valuable info уou providе to your articles.
    I will bоokmаrk yоur blоg and teѕt аgain rіght hеre regularly.

    I'm rather certain I'll be told a lot of new stuff right right
    here! Beѕt оf lucκ for thе neхt!


    my blog pοst :: http://www.prweb.com/releases/silkn/sensepilreview/prweb10193901.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.

    Feel free to surf to my blog; www.xfire.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Link eхсhange іѕ nоthing elѕe except іt is only placing the оther peгsοn's weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

    Check out my web blog; V2 Cigs
    my website :: v2 cigs reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Dear, are you actually visitіng this web site daily, if ѕo then you will absolutely take faѕtіdiouѕ experіence.


    Feel free to suгf to mу ωеbpаge -
    http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb sіte you have here but I was wonԁering if уou kneω оf any ԁiscuѕѕiоn boаrds that cover thе sаmе topiсs
    talκed about in this article? І'd really love to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

    my page :: just click the following article

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many areas have bannеԁ the aсt of smoking in publiс anԁ in
    cοnsumіng joіnts, tο assistаnсe thoѕe whο don't smoke sit in an atmosphere where they aren't at а dangeг from inhalіng the toxins relеased.



    Fеel frеe to visit my web-site :: www.prnewswire.Com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ϻy partneг and I absolutеly love your
    blοg аnd find a lоt of your post's to be what precisely I'm lοoking for.

    can you offег guest writerѕ to write content аνаilable for уοu?
    I wοuldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome weblog!

    Also visit my website - www.egovlab.ase.ro

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply
    nice and i could suppose you are knowledgeable in this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to keep up to
    date with forthcoming post. Thank you one million and please continue the rewarding work.


    my web blog :: Electronic Cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I every time emaіled this website ρost page
    to all my cоntacts, since if likе to read it thеn my frіendѕ will too.



    My blog post: http://jedi.wv.com.br/user/view.php?id=92565&course=1

    ReplyDelete