Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tia Silverthorne Bach - Depression Cookies - Author Interview

Author Interview

1. How did you come up with the title?
My family shared special memories around the dinner table. Certain foods always take me back to my childhood. Growing up, my mom often served depression cookies—a saltine cracker with peanut butter and a melted marshmallow. Her grandmother started the tradition back in the Depression by gathering whatever items they did have to create treats for her children. I now make them for my children.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Our novel offers two distinct, but interconnected, female perspectives. The story is told both through the mother’s eyes and the daughter’s (and by a mother-daughter writing team). I am the oldest of three girls and the mother of three daughters. I don’t know what I would do without the women in my life. But, women can also be their own worst enemy. Women are at the core of some of my best moments, and some of my worst. We hope Depression Cookies will open up a dialogue between women about the choices we have and the ones we make.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
So much of it is based in our life experiences, but it’s fiction. Growing up moving every 2 to 3 years is a wonderful way to meet a lot of characters and experience a lot of people’s stories. We drew from all of that. But we also used some very emotional experiences from our own background. It’s a story about a mother and daughter and their journey written by a mother and a daughter, so you can imagine there are parallels.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
No. I am a true believer that everything we do teaches us something. Every success and every mistake equally contribute to who we are.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Life. Depression Cookies took us ten years from idea spark to publication. In that time, I had three children (in five years) and moved four times and my parents moved, retired, and faced health issues. Through it all, we believed in the book and were determined to see it completed. But there were moments of wondering if we’d ever see it in print. It’s hard to take that long to write a book and not lose momentum and desire.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
We learned so much! The publishing industry is going through a lot of changes, so the learning curve has been tremendous. But most of all, we learned patience. Our novel was originally picked up by a small press. Unfortunately, the owner passed away within months of our expected publication. The business went under. We were so ready to publish and went with a company we have not been happy with. In hindsight, we would have slowed down and looked at new small publishers and other options.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I come from generations of strong women, and women who loved to read. My mom was always reading and writing, or simply making up stories to tell us at bedtime. I cherished those moments with her, and it spawned a love of writing in me. I’ve always written, filling up notebook after notebook full of stories as a child. Now my kids are doing the same.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Growing up, it was Judy Blume. Hands down. She had such an impact on my teenage years. Then I fell in love with Victoria Holt mysteries, Tolkien’s Lord the Rings trilogy, Nora Robert’s escapism, Fannie Flagg’s endearing characters (love Daisy Fay), and most recently Kristin Hannah. I read all genres, but nothing grabs me more than a woman’s story with unforgettable female characters.

9. Tell us your latest news.
For the first time, I am participating in National Novel Writing Month. For those who haven’t heard about NaNo, the challenge is to write 50,000 words in 30 days (during the month of November). I have had a Young Adult novel idea brewing for quite a while, and this will be my opportunity to jumpstart it. Plus, my mom and I are writing the follow up to Depression Cookies.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Appreciate reading… books have always been a very important part of my life. They have been my counselor, my friend, my imagination, and my inspiration among other things. I can’t imagine my life without books. One of my favorite quotes: “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” Charles W. Eliot 



About the Book

2011 Readers Favorite Book Awards, Silver Realistic Fiction and Finalist Chick Lit 

2011 Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Finalist Chick Lit

Depression Cookies is a coming of age story woven around the heart of family triumph. It is told from two distinct vantage points, middle-aged mother, Abby, and her teenage daughter, Krista.

Abby is buckling under the weight of a husband who is climbing the corporate ladder, three daughters each with their own unique needs, a mother who is going off the deep end and family health issues. As she is meeting everyone else's needs, her own keep surfacing. She feels she is losing parts of herself daily and doesn't know how to handle the stress and conflict. All she truly wants is a little magic in her life. Krista is thirteen, battling acne and low self-esteem, when her father waltzes in and announces the family is moving again. Instead of letting fear and anxiety rule her life, she is determined to survive the trenches of teenage cruelty and family issues without completely losing herself in the process.

What neither expects to find is the true essence of magic in the strength, friendship, power and energy of the female spirit.

Price/Format: $23.99 paperback, $3.03 ebook
Pages: 554
Genre: Women's Fiction / Chick Lit
Publisher: Xlibris
Release Date: September 27, 2010
Buy Links: Amazon, Kindle


About the Author

Tia Silverthorne Bach is an award-winning author, frequent blogger, avid reader, and mother to three beautiful daughters (12, 10 and 7). She is also a freelance editor. Most recently, she was the Editor for a non-fiction sailing novel, Trinidad Express by James E. Keen.

Link to connect with Tia:
Web site
Book Blog
Review Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Lifetime Television interview





Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting interview and good way of thinking. This book seems good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxiety, thanks for taking the time comment. I hope you get a chance to check out Tia's book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for featuring Depression Cookies, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tia, it was an honor. What a special book you and your mom created. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete