Thursday, February 21, 2013

Heather Burch - Avenger - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
I have to admit, Avenger had several titles before we settled on this one. I wanted to call it Warrior. But in the end, Avenger fit the story and character best.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I’m a romantic at heart, so I’d like for people to come away with the “love conquers all” theme. What definition that takes depends on the reader. The best books challenge each of us on different levels. If I’ve given readers something to chew on, consider, or think about … that’s a cool bonus. More than anything, I want them to come away entertained and feeling like they know the characters.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
Well, the situations may not be real, but my goal is to make the responses and reactions believable. Nikki pukes after killing a hell-hound with her bare hands in Halflings, book 1. It’s not pretty, it’s certainly not romantic, but it’s realistic. Bits of hell-hound stuck in your hair can do that.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I am really proud of the story I’ve told in Avenger. I think it’s the best writing I’ve done and as of right now, I’m really pleased. But, give me six months and I can probably find a million things I could have tweaked. That’s just the nature of writing, I guess. As authors we are always looking for a new way to turn a phrase or get across an idea.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The most difficult part of writing Avenger was keeping both Halflings and Guardian in mind as I wrote. I wanted everything about Nikki to be brought full circle. There are lots of little nuances that many readers may not catch. But it was important to me to be authentic and true from the first line of the first book.


6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
One big lesson for me was the commitment my family shared with me. My teenage son is really proud, and tells people his mom is an author. That’s a great feeling.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I’ve always written, short stories as a kid and poetry in high school. It’s just forever been a part of who I am.


8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I’ve had so many favorites throughout the years. One thing they all have in common is great writing. They transport us to another place, drop us into someone else’s skin and we get to live their lives for a while. My recent favorite is Suzanne Collins.

9. Tell us your latest news.
The release of Avenger is soooo close (March 26th)! That’s one thing. But another exciting thing is that a screenplay of Halflings has been written in Hollywood and may lead to a feature film. May lead to one, but it’s still surreal to me to even think of that. Also, I am on a book tour with a fabulous group of YA authors in Florida right now. You can find more information about that at http://thesunshinebooktour.blogspot.com/ Halflings will be coming out in soft cover on April 7. I think that’s about it for my new news.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I wonder if readers realize how important they are to authors? If not, let me tell you. Without you, our words would be cold, lifeless marks on paper. A character doesn’t live until someone reads about her. A story doesn’t take shape until someone invests themselves in the plot. Readers make us what we are. Thank you!


About the Book

Sometimes the Truth Comes with a Price Nikki knew Damon Vessler would not let his prized creation go easily---she simply never imagined the lengths he'd go to get her back into his clutches, and turn Nikki's heart toward darkness. A Seeker at her heels, trained on her blood, Nikki flees with Raven alongside her for protection, while Mace and the other Halflings fight the battle that has erupted on earth. But even as the two boys she loves fight for her, she knows the battle will be hers to win. Determined to uncover the secrets of her past, and exactly how she fits into Vessler's twisted plans, Nikki sets off on her own, and soon discovers facing hellacious beasts is nothing compared to the decision she will need to make. One that could change not only the war, and her relationship with Mace and Raven, but her future with the Throne.

Prices/Formats: $14.99 paperback, $8.89 ebook
Pages: 304
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Zondervan
Release Date: March 26, 2013
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Zondervan, ChristianBook.com


About the Author

Heather Burch grew up in Branson, Missouri, where she first discovered her love of fiction. A former esthetician and now an ordained minister and motivational speaker, Burch writes full time. Her YA series debuted in 2012 with Halflings, followed later that year by its sequel, Guardian. She lives in Venice, Florida, with her husband and two sons.


Links to Connect with Heather:
Twitter
Web Site







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment