Friday, March 8, 2013

Jill Williamson - The Safe Lands: Captives - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
Since the people of Glenrock were taken captive into The Safe Lands, the title was easy. They are captives in that place.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That not all good and pleasurable things are good for you. And that you only have one life, so enjoy it, but take care not to throw it away.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
It’s a dystopian novel, so none of it is real, but I always write my novels to be very realistic. When I write my characters, it’s always my goal for the reader to feel what it’s like to be each person.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I might spend a little more time on the story world. I love creating new worlds for my stories, and I didn’t get as much time on this one as I would have liked. But the story would remain the same if I could get a do over.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Doing it so quickly. I was on a book tour when I was writing it, and it was hard to find time to get it written. It was also challenging for me to write about surrogacy and keep it totally clean for my publisher. I still laugh when I think about some of the scenes in my first draft.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned that people think differently about things and that we can’t force others to adopt our way of thinking. People make decisions in life based on who they are, how they were raised, the knowledge they’ve gained, and how they’ve experienced life. Levi, Mason, and Omar are brothers, but they all think very differently about the world. That was fascinating for me to write.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Sure. I loved the Harry Potter books and thought, “I could do that!” Ha ha.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I have so many favorite authors, but since J.K. Rowlings books really inspired me to write my own, I’ll speak about her. It’s the authenticity of her story world that makes the Harry Potter books so great. Rowling spent years perfecting it and it shows in every little detail. It’s magical and wondrous and feels so very realistic. Just think about the newspapers with the animated pictures, the candies, the way wands choose the wizard, the castle, the way wizards can travel, the government, Mr. Weasley’s obsession with Muggles. She truly thought of everything. That’s what makes those books so great.

9. Tell us your latest news.
Besides the release of Captives and the second Safe Lands book, Outcasts, which comes out this October, I recently co-wrote a book for teen writers. It’s called Go Teen Writers: how to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book. If you’re a writers, come to the www.GoTeenWriters.com blog and see what goes on over there. We have a great time.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thanks for reading my books! I hope that you were entertained. Come visit me on Facebook or on my website where I talk about other books and give away lots of free books. And keep on reading!


About the Book

One choice could destroy them all. When eighteen-year-old Levi returned from Denver City with his latest scavenged finds, he never imagined he'd find his village of Glenrock decimated, loved ones killed by enforcers, and many---including his fiancee, Jem--taken captive. Now alone, Levi is determined to rescue what remains of his people, even if it means entering the Safe Land, a walled city that seems anything but safe. Omar knows he betrayed his brother by sending him away to Denver City, but helping the enforcers was necessary. Living off the land like nomads and clinging to an outdated religion holds his village back. The Safe Land has protected people since the plague decimated the world generations ago ... and its rulers have promised power and wealth beyond Omar's dreams. Meanwhile, Jem is locked in a cell, awaiting the Safe Landers' plan to protect their future by seizing her own. Can Levi uncover the truth hidden behind the Safe Land's facade before it's too late?

Prices/Formats: $9.99 paperback, $7.99 ebook
Pages: 416
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Zondervan
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Zondervan, ChristianBook.com


About the Author

Jill Williamson is a novelist, dreamer, and believer. Growing up in Alaska led to love books, and in 2010 her first novel, By Darkness Hid, won the Christy Award. She loves working with teenagers and gives writing workshops at libraries, schools, camps, and churches. Jill lives in Oregon with her husband and two children.


Links to Connect with Jill:
Facebook
Web Site
Twitter







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

4 comments:

  1. Hіs Lateѕt Pгoject Shows Hοw Τhe Poωer Of
    Onlinе Dating Can Be Harnessed Intегnаtionally anԁ With Great Success, Оr You Could Ρost
    Your Valuеd Cоmmеnts Οn Hіs Вlog At.

    If the answer is your gеnder then its possible уοu might be Gay.
    Frеe gay mеn ԁatіng sіteѕ hеlp the gay ѕingles to searсh foг their dеsirеd couplеs by looking
    at their photos and knowing about them.

    Feel frеe to viѕit my webρagе gay classifieds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just abοut everybody haѕ heaгd the phraѕe "leave them wanting more. Many questions can be asked and not all of them have simple answers. It might be a great deal less difficult attending these events for those who have some moral support.

    Also visit my web-site ... senior people meet

    ReplyDelete
  3. By no means lie to get him tо appreсiаte уou and
    veгy few laԁіes lie about the age, work, as peгfectlу аs other fеatures of daily life aѕ
    they consiԁer thаt іt cаn make them mіnοг eхtra eуe-cаtchіng in thе direction of males.
    On the οtheг hand, yοu mау want to сonsiԁeг joinіng genеral dating sites simply ѕo you can get a much lаrger vаriety of results frοm pеople who аre ѕеniorѕ and ρeople whο are nоt.
    So, if in yοur profіle it wеre to saу οne thing likе, yοu are tiгеd of meetіng
    all thе ωгοng guys anԁ оbtaіning hurt by them.


    Also vіsіt my web-ѕіte;
    free dating sites for senior singles senior dating sites that is Totally free totally free online senior dating sites,

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fеllow woman wіll ceгtainly know yоur most erοgenοus zones and will usе the right temple to give you a stunning climax.
    А well establisheԁ lesbian dating аgency receives about 1000 ѵiѕitors a day wіth the sky
    rocketing number of lеsbians in the world todaу.

    The Philіppine society gives the lesbian communіty their own space;
    however, the human rіghts of the Philiрpine lesbian culture arе dіshonorеd.


    Also viѕіt my web sitе :: lesbian dating advice

    ReplyDelete