Friday, March 29, 2013

Joanne Bischof - Though My Heart Is Torn - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
With the title, Though My Heart is Torn I really wanted to encompass the idea that “Although, my heart is torn…or although I have this hurt, fear, burden, God is still here with me. With us. He is still good and sovereign and still has our best interest in mind. That even though we may hurt, it won’t last forever. God will always see us through (1 Peter 5: 1).


2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
What I really want readers to take away from this story is that though it may tug your heart, it doesn’t mean it won’t be worth it. I think often times the happily-ever-after is all the more richer—purer, sweeter—if we had found ourselves looking out from the darkness and wondering how sweet the light might taste and if one day we might see it again. Though all hope may seem lost and though weeping may endure for a night, joy comes in the morning.

The idea behind this story, is that nothing is for naught. As Be Still My Soul carried into Though My Heart is Torn, perhaps it wasn’t time for Lonnie and Gideon’s happily-ever-after to come. Not just yet. I think the hero of the story, Gideon, still has some lessons to learn. He still has some growing up to do. I think that trials come into our lives, so that we might come out on the other end a little bit stronger and a little bit wiser. Not because God is unkind, but because He is gracious to give us that time of growth—when we need it the most.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
The story and the characters are all fictitious, but the regions of Fancy Gap and Rocky Knob in the Blue Ridge Mountains are real places. The heroine and hero will be separated for most of the story, so their love story will sort of bridge the gap from one place to the other. A yearning that will unite the two places.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I don’t think I would. But that doesn’t mean it’s not tempting! I think it’s always hard as a writer, to let go of a manuscript and watch it go to print, all the while hoping that readers will enjoy it and that it would bless them. 


5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hardest part about writing this book was telling the story of two soul mates, who fell deeply in love in Be Still My Soul, yet in Though My Heart is Torn…are separated by the law. It was so hard to pull Lonnie and Gideon apart as their love has grown so deeply rooted, yet knowing that hope is on the horizon for these two, and that all hope isn’t lost, made this story truly a joy to write.


6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
In the early 1900’s divorces were uncommon, which made it difficult to research, especially in the region of the Blue Ridge Mountains where my stories take place. There were a lot of gray areas—many pertaining to how rural the environment was. It wasn’t easy for people to simply pack up, leave the hills, and journey to a courthouse. It was often times challenging. Working with several sources, including some personal accounts was really fascinating as I put as many of the missing puzzle pieces together.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Growing up, I always had my nose in a book and my head in the clouds. I was always making up stories and writing them down. It was always sort of a hobby, but as I got older, those stories got longer until I had written my first manuscript in High School. I love working with kids and encouraging them in their writing and put together a page on my website for creative writing kids.


8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
One of my favorite authors is Laura Frantz. I admire how she writes outside of the box for the Christian fiction market. Her stories are passionate and heart wrenching in a way that stays with you for a long time. She is a dear woman and it was such an honor to have her endorsement for Though My Heart is Torn.

9. Tell us your latest news.
Right now, I am working on the early stages of edits for the third book in the series, My Hope is Found. This story will pick up only days after Though My Heart is Torn leaves off and will be the next and final story in Lonnie and Gideon’s journey. I am so excited about this book. It was so much fun to write and was truly a joy to bring this story to a victorious end.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you so much for having me today! I’d love to connect with you! Right now on my website, I’m having a giveaway inspired by Lonnie and Gideon of the Cadence of Grace series, you can sign up for it here or visit me at my Facebook page!


About the Book

Gideon O’Riley has two wives—but he doesn’t know it.

Settling into a simple life in the majestic Blue Ridge mountains, Lonnie and Gideon O’Riley have finally found happiness after the rocky start to their marriage. The roguish bluegrass musician has fallen in love with his gentle wife and the God she serves, and Lonnie rests secure in his tenderness for her and their young son. A heartless ruse interupts their peace, bringing them back to Rocky Knob—and forces them to face the claims of Cassie Allan, a woman who says she is Gideon’s rightful wife.

As Gideon wades into the depths of his past choices, Lonnie is stunned by the revelations. She has no choice but to navigate this new path, knowing that surviving the devastating blow will take every ounce of strength she has.

While Gideon’s guilt and his bitterness towards Cassie threatens to burn up his fledgling faith, Lonnie wrestles to find the courage to trust the God who brought them together in the first place. Will their hard-earned love be able to conquer all?

Lonnie only wanted her husband’s love. Now that he belongs to another, can she surrender Gideon to a God with a bigger plan?

Prices/Formats: $9.99 ebook, $14.99 paperback
Pages: 352
Genre: Fiction/Christian/Romance
Publisher: Multnomah Books
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Multnomah Books


About the Author

Married to her first sweetheart, Joanne Bischof lives in the mountains of Southern California where she keeps busy making messes with their home-schooled children. When she’s not weaving Appalachian romance, she’s blogging about faith, writing, and the adventures of country living that bring her stories to life. Though My Heart is Torn is the second novel in her Cadence of Grace series.


Links to Connect with Joanne:
Facebook
Twitter
Web site
Blog







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment