Monday, March 4, 2013

Lee Strauss - Perception and Volition - Author Interview


Tell us a bit about your family. 
I’m married with four kids. Three boys and a girl- Joel, Levi, Jordan and Anastasia

What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life?
My proudest accomplishment by far is having raised four stellar individuals and citizens of planet earth.

What is your favorite color?
Growing up it was blue, but then it changed to red and now it’s purple. A natural progression, I think.

What is your favorite food?
Dark Chocolate. That’s a food group, right?

What’s your favorite place in the entire world?
Kelowna, BC , followed very closely by Dresden, Germany, the two places on earth I call home.

How has your upbringing influenced your writing?
Well, I’m not one of those people who always knew I wanted to be a writer or has been writing stories since I was two. But, I do glean a LOT from personal child and teen experience.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
This sounds cliche, but when the kids were small and I read kids books to them, something creative sparked in me. It went piously like “I can do this.” It’s much harder than it looks!

When and why did you begin writing?
I started writing because I needed a creative outlet the kids couldn’t get into and wreck. lol. I put away the paints and pulled out the word processor. (More precisely, the dos program on my PC that used 5″ floppy disks. Yes, I’m that old. ha.)

How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing as a creative outlet for 18 years. It became a serious pursuit about five years ago and I’ve been working at it full time for two years.

What genre are you most comfortable writing?
Young Adult, otherworldliness, if that’s a genre? :) .

What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel, or about writing in general? Initially, the most challenging thing is just to finish. Letting it be a crap pile, but getting it done. When it comes to publishing the most challenging thing is learning how to market well.

Did writing this book teach you anything and what was it?
The future is exciting and frightening.

Have you ever had writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?
I find physical activity helps to unlock writers block. I often go for a power walk with my iphone and stop to take notes when the ideas start to flow.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
PERCEPTION

How did you come up with the title?
One of the themes in Perception is how easy it is to misjudge the people around us based solely on their looks or social status. My two main characters perceive each other differently at the end of the book than what they did at the beginning.

Can you tell us about your main character?
I have two main characters. Zoe Vanderveen and Noah Brody. Zoe is a GAP, a genetically altered person with a perfect body and extended lifeline. She lives in a utopian gate city inhabited by other beautiful Gaps. Noah is a natural who lives on the outside. He opposes GAP policy and is the son of a recently assasinated GAP protest leader. He doesn’t like people like Zoe and has something against Zoe specifically.

Who designed the cover?
I worked with Dale Pease at www.walkingstickbooks.com to design the cover. The eternity symbol represents one of the main themes of the series, the pursuit of living forever.

Who is your publisher?
ESB Publishing, owned by me.

Why did you choose to write this particular book?
I watched a documentary on TV about how science is making progress on the effort to extend the human life span especially with genetic alteration. It got me thinking about how that would look globally if they succeed? Would everyone be able to do it and if not who would and who wouldn’t? How would it effect those who did and those who didn’t? Would people pursue this at any cost?

Will you write others in this same genre?
Yes. Perception is the first in a series. Book 2 VOLITION is releasing April 16.

What are your current writing projects now?
Along with the Perception series, I’m writing a serial series (as Elle Strauss) called LOVE, TINK. Think Enchanted meets Peter Pan. Episode 1 and 2 (of 6) are already out on Amazon.

What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing?
I’ve written and published my books. It’s amazing to see them on Amazon, itunes, Barnes & Nobles and to know that people are reading them. I love getting fan mail. I adore all the fellow writers I’ve met online, especially those in my writers group, The Indelibles (http://indeliblewriters.blogspot.ca/)


Eternal Life is To Die For
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – YA SciFi / Romance
Rating – PG13

What doesn’t kill you…
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – YA SciFi / Romance
Rating – PG13

More details about the author and the book
Connect with Lee Strauss on Facebook and Twitter

4 comments: