Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ali Berlinski - A Beautiful Mess - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
The title may sound like an oxymoron but there’s a story behind it and after you read the book, I think you’ll agree there’s no other title that fits it better.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Life can be ridiculous at times. But imagine what your life would be like if you laughed through all the heartache? Let me show you how to say yes to your mess.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
I’d say 99% of what I write is truthful, or the truth as I know it. Everything in the book happened to me in real life and that is one of the reasons I think people will really relate to it. That being said, go ahead and feel free to add your own elements of fantasy i.e picturing me as some hot actress like Jessica Alba.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
No. In hindsight you can always say, oh I should have done this or that and drive yourself crazy. Luckily, I don’t live my life that way. I put everything I had into the book and am extremely proud of how it came out. The book is very of the moment and that’s how I hope people will read it.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Finding the courage to be completely honest. You’d think being honest with yourself would be simple but I’m pretty sure teaching myself how to perform a lobotomy would have been easier. It was really challenging, but deciding to open up has been one of the most rewarding experiences.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I’ve always felt more comfortable expressing myself with pen and paper. So in many ways, I had no idea how I felt about certain things until I had written them down and saw them staring back at me. Really, it’s great, and much cheaper than going to therapy. Even if you don’t think you need therapy or want to write a book, I’d recommend everyone write his or her story.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
When I was 8 years old, my fourth grade teacher told me I was the second best writer in class. That’s right, not first—SECOND. Who tells that to a child? Anyway, second or not, it was the first time I ever felt really good at something.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Picking just one is hard. I’d say it’s a tie between Dr. Seuss and David Sedaris. I’ve read all their books and am in love with each one. What I love about both of them is their ability to bring lightheartedness to the heavy things in life.

9. Tell us your latest news.
Besides being the first author ever to get published by crowdfunding? Well, I recently got my Spanish driver’s license, which doesn’t sound all that exciting but here in Spain you almost need to be a doctor, mechanic, and farmer just to drive. I’m honestly thinking of framing it when it comes in the mail.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
For every book you buy a book is donated to a child in need. What other form of entertainment offers good karma? NONE! Go get it today and start laughing at me!


About the Book

Biracial and bicoastal, Berlinski spent her childhood flying between the families of her divorced parents, without ever feeling like she fit in anywhere. Fortunately, she never lost her sense of humor, which is apparent on every page of her first book, a riotous and revealing look at the consequences of divorce, too much air travel, cultural diversity and conflicting and conflicted parents. With an open heart and an honest soul, she recounts her somewhat misspent youth and a wildly exciting (though equally torturous) love affair with the guy of her dreams. She loves, she loses and she packs it in, leaving behind the guy, two dysfunctional families, and a comfortable life to move to a foreign country and start all over again.

She’s Carrie Bradshaw reimagined as a third grade teacher in Brooklyn with zero interest in Manolo Blahniks. She’s a tough New Yorker with a tender twist of California sunshine in her blood that knows when to fight and when to surrender. Her journey will be oddly familiar and utterly unique to anyone who’s ever believed that love would save them—if not with this guy, then maybe with the next.

As her grandfather once said, “Well, it may not be the party you hoped for, but since we’re here, we might as well dance.” So now she lives in Spain and, despite everything, Berlinski keeps on dancing.

Prices/Formats: $15.00 paperback
Pages: 211
Genre: Memoir
Publisher: Pubslush Press
Release Date: May 14, 2013
Buy Links: Pubslush Press


About the Author

Imagine what your life would be like if you laughed through all the mayhem. Ali Berlinski is an expert on making complicated family relationships and messy situations comedic. A biracial child of divorce, Ali grew up between two coasts and two families. With a gay deaf brother, ex-nanny step mother, and celebrity ex-boyfriend, it's no surprise that her personal life served as fodder for her first book, a beautiful mess.

The literary lovechild of David Sedaris and Carrie Bradshaw, Ali's charming collection of anecdotes sheds precious, unconventional insight on her quest to use laughter to embrace the lighter side of heartache, cancer, depression, divorce. Her story reminds us that sometimes we all need a little help putting the fun back in dysfunctional. Can we be happy with this life? Ali Berlinski will help you say yes to your mess.


Links to Connect with Ali:
Facebook
Twitter
Web site
Publisher's web site







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all the reviews.
    I have used your site frequently as a source for books to read.
    Best wishes in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great site, now that my daughters are older, I can actually pick up a book and actually read it straight through, you have so many books that I would love to read thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to connect a reader with new titles :)

      Delete