Tuesday, April 23, 2013

R.K. Avery - Be Careful What You Wish For - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
There is an interesting story that goes with the title of the book. It actually started out as two books. The first was called The Missing Link and the second was called Let It Bea (the main character is Bea Miller). I found that neither book had enough merit to stand on its own so I creatively merged the two and changed the title to Be Careful What You Wish For. This is a saying as old as time and pretty much sums up the book.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Yes. The message is no one is above the law. That, and don’t pass judgment on others too quickly. You have no idea what they have been through.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
It started off as a true story. I was kidnapped from a beach when I was 25 months old. Luckily I don’t recall it but my mother remembers it like it was yesterday. Often over the years I wondered what my life may have been like if my story didn’t have a happy ending so I decided to write my own happy ending.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I don’t think I would. I think I wrote it with my readers in mind. I wanted something that would captivate their interest to the point that they couldn’t put it down wondering what might happen next. When I wrote it, I thought it would appeal mostly to women but the support has been surprising. Men, women and teenagers alike have approached me saying how much they loved it.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Probably the research that went into the abuse scenes. Not having grown up in that type of environment, it was difficult for me to write about something I didn’t know.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
That I am incredibly lucky and very blessed.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I have always been interested in reading and writing. Just having the ability to make someone happy or sad just by the words you chose is a feeling like no other.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I am a Catherine Anderson fan. She paints such vivid pictures with her words it makes me feel like I am right there. She also has a way of making someone who the world might see as damaged or broken into a lovable character that steals the show.

9. Tell us your latest news.
Right now I am in the process of finishing up book #3, Reflection in the Mirror. I am also querying to agencies that might be interested in turning Be Careful What You Wish For into a Lifetime or Hallmark movie. It has all the necessary ingredients, I just need someone to believe in me. I also received word that Be Careful What You Wish For was nominated as a required reading book for the high school students in the state in which I live. It’s just nominated, not selected yet, but it’s still a high honor.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Each one of my books is a labor of love. I put my heart and soul into it and when I finally finish and release it out into the world, nothing makes me happier than knowing I did a great job.


About the Book

Beatrice Miller is a penniless widow, living a meager existence with her four, rambunctious boys. Her entire life, she wished and dreamed of having a little girl of her own. When every effort fails, she is haunted and reminded of the chilling words of her father, “If you want something, take it.” Unable to shake the feeling he is out there, watching and waiting, she can’t seem to escape the lasting scars no matter how hard she tries.

When beautiful, blue-eyed, three-year-old Maggie Taylor mysteriously vanishes, the Bunting Valley Police Department begin a kidnapping investigation that uncovers unthinkable crimes spanning many years—not only in Bunting Valley, but also in surrounding states and jurisdictions.

Through the handwritten journal of Bea Miller, she takes you on a journey into the mind of a deranged individual who believes you can make your own wishes come true. The twists and turns are guaranteed to keep you awake at night.

Prices/Formats: $5.99 ebook, $12.95 paperback
Pages: 236
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Publisher: Brighton Publishing
Release Date: 2011
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble


About the Author

R.K. Avery was born and raised in northeast Ohio. Writing a novel is something she has dreamt of doing for the last thirty years. As a recent graduate of the Institute of Children’s Literature, she has written numerous, unpublished, children’s picture books, but her true passion is writing adult fiction. R. K. Avery lives in Macedonia, Ohio, with her husband, two kids, and four dogs, the most recent addition a rescued Puggle named Princess.

“Having the ability to make people laugh or cry, just by using the written language, is a gift so powerful and I hope, one day, my name will be among those who possess it” ~ R.K. Avery


Links to Connect with R.K.:
YouTube
Twitter
Facebook
Blog
Web site







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment