Friday, May 17, 2013

Leonard Clifton - The Last Prince of Atlantis - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
I came up with the title after I remember from traveling to Brazil, the Dominican and after I met my Australian Greek muse in Vegas. I remember Leonard Nimoy had a show called in search of. I remembered the lost city Atlantis vividly, I played around with many titles and when I googled and checked with yahoo if the name existed on any websites. I knew the name was perfect. I bought and created the website and the book title was created after that.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
The message I wanted to reach my readers is by letting them know theirs other great fantasy novels out there with diversity and positivity.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
The book is very realistic, it has modern day pop culture in it with Atlantian and Greek mythology. I added historical references like Blackbeard, Charles Vane (pirates). The teens listens to music like Justin Bieber, Rhianna, The Doors etc.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
I have made quite a few changes but nothing out of the ordinary. I took care of editing errors, things like that. I did have a literary agent in Los Angeles in love with the story and he immediately knew that the book was original and he could sell it to a studio if I changed the main character who is an African American biracial. I didn't want to change the main character to a white character. That already exist, so with that being said. I am happy I didn't change anything in regards to character descriptions.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I thought writing was actually the easy part, even for a 424 page novel. The hard part was doing the editing and proof reading. I made many mistakes and in a two year period. I had the book republished several times just to get it where it is now. Fans love it and the fan base is growing daily.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I have learned that when you write and market the book, you have to be careful how you mention it to people who doesn't know your work. I have received a few people who thought I was bragging about the novel which wasn't the case. I just loved the book and the concept. Some people who may have read something when I promoted it, saw it as me being pretentious which wasn't true. And you have to be humbled even with bad reviews. The bad reviews is what made me restructure the book to make it better..

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
It originated after my travels to Brazil, the Dominican, Miami and just living in California. You see the most beautiful people from mixed races. I wanted to create something for people who didn't see themselves in a positive light in fantasy novels. And I was enamored by my Australian Greek muse. So I created a love story between the Atlantian teen warrior and a beautiful Greek goddess.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I love J.R.R Tolkien, it was amazing how Tolkien took his time writing, years to put his masterpiece together starting with The Hobbit. He experienced a lot in his lifetime during World War I and II. He is amazing with his imagery. I pay homage to him in one scene of the novel when I mention a beautiful firework display that looks real and life like showing dolphins swimming in the night sky.

9. Tell us your latest news.
The latest news, I have been working on doing an anti bullying charity event at a Barnes and Noble in Los Angeles. I hope that works out. I recently have given a signed copy to Steve Harvey at his star ceremony in Hollywood. I told Shaun Robinson from Access Hollywood about it. Ryan Seacrest, Good Day L.A. host Steve Edwards, Jillian Barberie and The Young and the Restless soap star Christopher St. John has a copy. I'm working on giving it to Usher and Ellen DeGeneres.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I sincerely appreciate ever person who took the time out to read the novel and post reviews. Even taking pictures with the book cover so I can post them up on the book web pages. I hope to inspire and be an inspiration for future writers and readers. I love to inspire people. I hope I have by creating this novel. My ultimate goal is to create a creative writing and literacy foundation.


About the Book

Allen King is a 15 year old African American male teenager living in a blue collar family in Miami, Florida. Allen immediately discovers after finding a crystal necklace that he's an alien hybrid prince of ancient royalty. Suddenly things change as this shy teenager becomes a strong leader by having the power of telepathy and teleportation besides communicating with sea animals. Allen is aided by a beautiful young Greek goddess, two orphan teens and his boisterous uncle. Together while keeping the earth safe they fight Allen's immortal enemies as they try to restore his kingdom, the lost city of Atlantis.

Prices/Formats: $3.79 ebook, $23.99 paperback, $34.99 hardcover
Pages: 422
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Xlibris Corporation
Release Date: January 20, 2012
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble



About the Author

Leonard Clifton started out as an actor and model. His first major movie was in Steven Speilberg's 'Amistad' which was co-produced by Debbie Allen. Leonard was also in the movie 'Bring It On' and Morgan Freeman's produced television movie 'Mutiny.' He's modeled in various hip hop magazines and for fashion mogul Karl Kani besides being in Tupac Shakur's 'Temptations' music video and Young MC 'On and Poppin.' This is Leonard's first young adult novel written for the urban market. It's the first of it's kind creating strong positive African American,biracial and diverse characters in a fantasy genre.


Links to Connect with Leonard:
Web Site
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads
YouTube
IMDb







Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment