Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Meg Moseley - Gone South - Author Interview

Author Interview 

1. How did you come up with the title?
Gone South was one of the first titles that occurred to me, probably because it suits the theme of the story. When the story’s protagonist, Tish McComb, moves from Michigan to Alabama, everything seems to “go south” for her as well as for one of the other characters.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
The world is full of prodigal sons and daughters. No matter which direction they’re headed, they need kindness instead of condemnation.

3. How much of the book is realistic?
The story’s tensions between Yankees and Southerners were based on my observations as a transplant to the South, and I tried to make Tish’s sidekick, Melanie, an authentic representation of the many young people who aren’t academically gifted. On the lighter side, the muscle cars, the antiques, and the runaway Maltese dog are as realistic as I could make them without being an expert in any of those fields.

4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your book?
Sure, I would. I think every author sees things she’d like to change—after it’s too late.

5. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Plotting it. I’m not a natural-born plotter. I wish I’d had more time to let the story grow organically, but sometimes a production schedule has to come before a writer’s wishes.

6. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned a lot about trying to walk in other people’s shoes for a while—trying to see “bleepity-bleep Yankees” from a Southerner’s perspective, for instance, or trying to understand how hard life can be for someone who struggles to read.

7. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
My earliest inspiration came from my father’s stories about his mother, who wrote for magazines to keep food on the table during the Great Depression. I keep her 1940’s-era typewriter in my office to remind me of her perseverance through much greater obstacles than I’ve ever had to face.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
That’s a tough question and I might answer it differently next week, but right now I’d put Josephine Tey at the top of my list. Her novel Brat Farrar is one I’ve read several times just to enjoy her lyrical style, her understanding of human nature, and her portrayal of flawed but lovable characters.

9. Tell us your latest news.
My third novel, A Stillness of Chimes, will come out in February, 2014. It’s the story of a young woman who comes home to Georgia to settle her mother’s estate and learns that new questions surround her father’s long-ago disappearance.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you for loving books the way I do! Good books make my world go 'round, and I'm glad I'm not the only one like that.


About the Book

Having moved frequently within her native Michigan, Tish McComb is thrilled to move to Noble, Alabama, and buy the house built by her great-great-great-grandparents shortly after the Civil War. She hangs their ancient wedding portrait in the parlor where it once hung and dreams of finding a sense of home. But she soon learns her ancestors were carpetbaggers whose legendary misdeeds make the town hostile toward anyone named McComb.

Tish isn't the only one who feels the sting of rejection, though. When an influential citizen disowns his prodigal daughter, Tish offers her the acceptance they've both been denied. But everything goes south when the wayward daughter doesn't straighten up. Tish can't decide if she should challenge her incorrigible houseguest by drawing a line in the sand, or write words in the sand and dare the prodigal's father to throw the first stone.

Prices/Formats: $14.99 paperback
Pages: 352
Genre: Christian Fiction
Publisher: Multnomah Books
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Buy Links: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Multnomah Books


About the Author

Meg Moseley grew up in California now lives in Georgia with her husband. Besides homeschooling her three children for more than 20 years, she has also been an administrative assistant for a Christian college and worked at a candle factory. She enjoys motorcycle rides with her husband, books, travel and gardening, and she is an avid blogger.

In her own words:
Although I’ve lived more than half my life in other states, I grew up in California and am still a California girl at heart. I love vintage bungalows, twisted oaks on rolling hills, and the rocky beaches of the Central Coast.

A few blocks away from home stood the Lutheran church where I came to faith, first through Sunday School teachers whose kindness drew me to the kindness of God, and then through confirmation classes. The Bible verses that had been drilled into my head came to life in my heart.

After moving away from home as a teenager, I worked at a variety of jobs, from candlemaker in a tourist town to administrative assistant at a Christian college. I married a wonderful man from Michigan, and we lived north of Detroit for seventeen years. That’s where we started homeschooling our three children, a journey that we finished in Georgia when our youngest graduated from high school in 2009.

My husband and I live near Atlanta, close to the foothills of the Southern Appalachians. His motorcycle often carries us to the mountains of Georgia, Tennessee, or the Carolinas. Sitting on the back of the bike, I can pray, enjoy the beautiful views, and plot new stories. Fiction makes my world go ‘round, whether I’m writing it or reading it.

Link to connect with Meg:
Blog
Web Site
Facebook
Twitter




Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment