Monday, June 24, 2013

Anita Lewis - Fluffy, Funny, and Fabulous: A Tale of Five Sisters - Guest Post


Guest Post

The book Fluffy, Funny, and Fabulous: A Tale of Five Sisters came about because my sisters and I, like many other sisters reminisce on fun memories of growing up and life changing events that have happened in our lives. How many times have we said, “We should write a book”? Well, we did! Our hope is to provide a fun, entertaining read and at the same time to encourage others to write their memories for their loved ones, if only in letters or a journal.

The secondary reason we wrote the book was to celebrate the strength of family. This last month that strength and our trust in the Lord were put to a test. My brother-in-law, John had to have Valve replacement surgery. He is 73 years young but at that age the surgery is considered high risk. The weekend before all the sisters but Helen, the oldest, who just got a brand new puppy, drove down to Lake of the Ozarks to be with our sister Ruth and her hubby. It was a splendid weekend for being out on the lake in their pontoon boat and celebrating the high school graduation of nephew, Chase. We over-ate, stayed up late, laughed, acted silly and enjoyed each other’s company. We also prayed for speedy recovery for John.

Sisters with their husbands after trekking up a path at Ha-Ha Tonka State Park. John is on the far right. The surgery was on Wednesday and lasted longer than it should have. John went into recovery and all seemed well till Friday morning. The sisters waited eagerly for a morning update which was a pattern established years earlier when we went through a similar surgical experience with our Mother. The update did not come! I called the hospital and Ruth answered, saying “Hello, Anita, I will call you back!” She never calls me Anita, my formal name, so I knew something was wrong. So, in true sister fashion, I dutifully began calling the other sisters to relay the situation and for reassurance that I was worrying about nothing. Instead I started them worrying too. Memories came flooding back of our turbulent journey when Mom had her surgery years earlier. Prayer requests went out to friends and other family members and we spent Friday afternoon with an anxious cloud of doom hanging over our heads. Concentrating on jobs and daily routine activities became impossible. Finally at 6 pm the phone rang and we received an update. Our worst fears were confirmed, complications had set in and the situation was critical. We would get another update in the morning, but pray. It was a long night for the family. We all trust our God, but none of us dare speak out loud that maybe John was being called home to be with his Lord. Selfishly we want him here with us as he had become our families’ spiritual leader and source of strength after the passing of Mom. Miraculously, by Sunday he had made improvement and he is now home making a speedy recovery.

We were again reminded how lucky we are to have family to help us through these rough times that we all face.

John wrote the Forward to our book and I would like to share it with your readers:

Having spent time with all five sisters, I determined in my heart that I was going tobecome one of them also. My wife, Ruth, laughed at the idea. With much determination, I went to her sister’s and said, “I love you all so much. Would you consider me to be a sister with all of you?

If I remember correctly, their response was overwhelming! I don’t remember exactly what Helen said. I believe that Anita agreed to take me in!

Regardless of the outcome, I will always consider myself as part of the sisterhood. I have been blessed to have spent many years and to have had many adventures with them. They really are a part of me.

I thank them all for the kindness they have shown me.

—John Kenyon



About the Book

Remember growing up?

Fluffy, Funny, and Fabulous will help you remember those special moments. Wish you were closer to your family? This humorous book written by five real life sisters has turned into a self-help guide on the importance of those family relationships. The five sisters grew up in a small town in simpler times. Over the years their lives went different directions but some critical events brought them back together when they most needed the strength of family. This is not an in your face self-help book with canned solutions but rather a reflection tool to make you consider your own relationships and their importance.

Will make you Laugh and Cry at the same time.

Written as a tribute to their parents and family, it is rich with humor but also laced with heartbreaking tales of the loss of their father and the realization that the role of child would now change to caregiver as their mother aged.

Prices/Formats: $14.99 paperback
Pages: 230
Genre: Memoir
Publisher: Tate Publishing
Release Date: December 18, 2012
Buy Links: Amazon


About the Author

Anita Lewis lives in Aurora, IL with her husband Jim, and their three cats. She is an avid Green Bay Packer Fan. She is very involved in her community and with her two daughters and two grandchildren.


Links to connect with Anita:
Web Site
Blog
Facebook






Tribute Books Blog Tours 
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment